Two-way Radios Vs Mobile Phones
Released On 28th Sep 2016
Almost everyone in the UK owns a mobile phone. Each year phones become more powerful and 4G becomes more widespread. So you might be wondering, why even use a two-way radio at all? A two-way radio actually has many advantages over using a mobile phone in a business setting.
Two Way Radios
- Instant connection, no waiting for a connection to be established.
- More durable against water (some have IP ratings that makes them almost totally waterproof)
- A robust build leaves radios less prone to damage from knocks and drops and they won’t bend out of shape like a mobile phone!
- Talk to multiple people at once.
- No monthly contract or call credit required
- Safety features such as Man Down, Lone Worker and Emergency Alert
- Potentially better battery life
- Two-way radios operate on a private network, with security features such as encryption to help prevent eavesdropping. This is especially important for sectors dealing with personal or confidential information such as education and healthcare.
- Can require a licence, although licence-free options are available
- Can phone anywhere in the world as long as there is signal.
- No licence required to operate.
- Have to wait for a connection which can result in a significant delay. This is not ideal for short messages if it takes longer to contact someone than the message’s length.
- Not durable compared to most two-way radios due to a large fragile glass screen and thin body. Some have protection against water, but most don’t.
- You can only talk to one person at a time. This means you need to make multiple calls to get a message across to more than one person.
- Mobile signals get jammed during times of heavy use. This could be disastrous during a critical situation.
- Requires signal from a phone tower. Signal strength may not be ideal in some rural or remote locations.
RadioTrader sells a huge range of mobile and hand portable two way radios, as well as repeaters and all the accessories you need.
You might also be interested in: